To split a PDF into multiple files, follow these 4 steps:
- Download and install Movavi PDF Editor.
- Run the program and add the PDF you want to split.
- Click Manage Pages and select pages.
- Click Extract in the right-hand pane. The pages will be saved as a separate PDF.
Now you know how to split a PDF. Read the full guide to explore the topic in more detail.
By clicking the button, you’re downloading the free version of Movavi PDF Editor.*
How to Separate PDF Pages and Save Them as Individual Files
We often need to break a PDF into parts – for instance, you may need to extract an image or a chart from a PDF document or just split large documents into smaller chunks for easier sharing. It’s generally preferable if the file can be processed fast and accurately. If you are new to splitting PDFs, it can be tricky to figure out which PDF splitter will work best for you.
Movavi provides both online and offline solutions to join or export pages from existing PDF files without risking loss of quality or data
Keep reading to learn how to divide PDF pages using Movavi PDF Editor or its lightweight online cousin PDFChef.
How to Separate Pages in the PDF Editor’s Pages Mode
Step 1. Acquire the Application
To start working with the PDF Editor, download and install the application.
Step 2. Set the Range of Pages to Be Extracted
Launch the app and click Open File to open the large PDF you need to break into two or more files. Click the Manage Pages button to activate the page management mode. For multiple consecutive pages, hold down the Shift key while clicking on the first and the last page. If you want to select a number of non-consecutive pages, click on each page you want to extract from the document while holding down the Ctrl key (Cmd if you're using a Mac).
Step 3. Save Pages as a Separate PDF
Click Extract on the right-hand side of the program window. Choose the folder in which you want to save the new file and enter the file name. Click Save. The selected pages will be saved as a new PDF.
How to Extract Pages from a PDF Using the Preview Panel
If you want to export just one page from a PDF file, there is no need to use the page management mode. You can do it directly in the Preview panel.
Step 1. Download Movavi PDF Editor
Run the file you’ve downloaded and wait until the installation is complete.
Step 2. Open a File and Specify the Source Page
Start the program, click Open File, and specify the file from which to extract the page. Then, right-click on the required page and choose the Extract option from the context menu.
Step 3. Save the New File
Select the destination folder you want to save the new PDF file to, enter a name for the new file, and click Save.
How to Split a PDF into Multiple Images
If you want to know how to cut PDF pages into multiple BMP, JPG, or PNG images, this step is for you.
Step 1. Download the Program
Download, install, and activate Movavi PDF Editor on your computer.
Step 2. Specify the Pages for Extraction
Open the file you need to process in the PDF Editor, go to the Manage Pages mode, and select the pages as described above.
Step 3. Save PDF Document Images as Separate Files
Then, choose the Convert to JPG, PNG, BMP option from the right-hand menu. Choose the desired output format, locate the target folder for the images, enter a file name for the images, and hit Save. The PDF will be divided and saved as multiple image files.
How to Split PDFs Online
For those who prefer working online, we suggest PDFChef. PDFChef is a simplified web-based version of the PDF Editor which lets you split PDF files right in your browser without downloading any software. However, note that it supports only the PDF format, so you cannot extract individual pages as image files.
Step 1. Go to the Website
To split your PDF files online, first, browse to the PDFChef website using the link below. Click Split PDFs.
Step 2. Upload a File
To upload a PDF file for processing, click the Choose Files button or drag and drop a file into the workspace.
Step 3. Set the Page Range to Extract
Select the range of pages to be extracted using the mouse and the Ctrl or Shift keys.
Step 4. Save Pages as a New Separate File
PDFChef will automatically display the first and last page numbers of the range. Extract the selected pages to create a new PDF file using the Export button.
Now you know how to split PDF pages with no fuss! Just get Movavi's software and choose the section of the guide that works best for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
For this task, try Movavi PDF Editor for Mac:
1. Open the PDF in Movavi PDF Editor
Go to the Movavi PDF Editor product page
2. Select the Pages to Extract
Click Manage Pages and select the pages you want to separate out.
3. Extract and Save the Pages
Click Extract in the right panel. In the dialog window that appears, enter a name for the file and choose the folder to store it in, then click Save. The pages will be saved as a separate PDF.
In Movavi PDF Editor, you can split documents in the same way as you split PDFs:
- Open the PDF in PDF Editor.
- Select the pages to extract.
- Right-click the selected pages and select Extract from the context menu.
- Enter a name for the file, choose the folder to save it in, and click Save. The selected files will be saved as a separate file.
Repeat the steps to extract other groups of pages from the PDF.
How to separate PDF pages online for free:
- Go to the online PDF editor website.
Go to the PDFChef website
- Click Choose Files to add the PDF file you want to split.
- Select the pages you want to extract from the PDF. You can also set a specific range of pages to be extracted.
- Click Export selected to save the pages as a separate PDF.
- Run Movavi PDF Editor and choose the Merge tool.
- Click Select Files to add the documents you want to combine into one PDF.
- In the Merge window that appears, click Merge. The files will be combined.
- To save the PDF document, click File in the menu bar and choose Save As.
Now you know how to merge PDFs! To learn more, read the full guide:
How to merge PDF files
Movavi PDF Editor
Everything you need from PDF Software!
- PDF creation from scratch
- Different PDF-editing modes (4-in-1 page arrangement,
text editing, and object editing)
- Ready-to-use legal form templates
- Electronic signature solutions
- One-click file export and print output
Disclaimer: Please be aware that Movavi Screen Recorder does not allow capture of copy-protected video and audio streams.